Subject: [css-d] What is Netscape 5.0?

From: dnelson at netbank.com (Dave Nelson)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:14:18 -0400

Bill Creswell [mailto:[email-masked]] said:

>> I think that Netscape 5.0 is actually Netscape 6.0. The dot release of
6.1
>> was the first time its userAgent changed to 6.x
>
> Do we know that? I was thinking WebTrends was mis-interpreting Moz 1.4
(which reads Mozilla/5.0 in the userAgent > string).\
> Bill

I downloaded and installed Netscape 6 from the evolt archive and if it is
the same install from the initial release I was wrong. It is clearly
identified as Netscape 6

userAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; m18)
Gecko/20001108 Netscape6/6.0

My own stats from AWStats so far this month:
23 million hits total
91% IE
 4% NS

Netscape5   250854
Netscape6.0   1832

---

From: grochtdreis.jens at bartenbach.de (Jens Grochtdreis)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:27:50 +0200

Hi,

according to Apple the new Safari-Browser may be your Netscape5.
On http://developer.apple.com/internet/safari_faq.html#2 you can read:

<cite>
The entire Safari user-agent string is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/XX (KHTML, like
Gecko) Safari/YY

...where XX is the version of Apple's web technology used by Safari and YY
is the version of the Safari application.
And remember, since the rendering engine used by Safari behaves most like
Netscape, the Safari JavaScript engine will report navigator.appName as
"Netscape". Other Navigator values include:

      navigator.appCodeName = "Mozilla" navigator.appName = "Netscape"
      navigator.appVersion = "5.0" navigator.platform = "MacPPC"
      navigator.product = "Gecko" navigator.productSub = "20030107"
      navigator.vendor = "Apple Computer, Inc."

</cite>

HTH,

Jens