Subject: [css-d] Mac and Linux site check please

From: matt.davey at dsl.pipex.com (Matthew Davey)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 19:52:00 +0100

http://blogstreetjournal.com/index.php

Works fine in all win browsers I've been able to download, no Mac, and Linux
till I get a spare day, so if any one with either of these platforms could
check it for me, I'd be most grateful.

Matt

-- 

http://unitedheroes.net/blogs/matt/ - usually updated, occasionally funny,
sometimes even informative!

---

From: WebHead at wi.rr.com (Arlen Walker)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 08:47:55 -0500

> check it for me, I'd be most grateful.

Not bad. Suffers from the "phantom right margin" bug in IE5/Mac, because 
your "linksright" div is right-poistioned within 16px of the right edge 
of the viewport. When this happens, IE5/Mac adds another 16px to the 
width, forcing horizontal scrollbars when none are needed. Fix is not 
positioning it within 16 px of the edge and optionally giving a negative 
right margin to move the text over.

Also center column is a tad lower than the two outside ones.

Both of these are minor cosmetics, the second one could even be 
considered an intentional design choice (the "asymmetry adds visual 
interest" bit). Positioned as it is below the subtitle for your site, it 
actually works better than uniform starting positions, I think.

Then again, I always liked comic books with non-square panels, as well.

Have fun,
Arlen

-----
In God We Trust, all others must supply data

---

From: ksoh at colby.edu (Karen Oh)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:18:15 -0400

>http://blogstreetjournal.com/index.php

Hi,
not sure if you got feedback. .

Mac OS 9.2

IE5
Fonts are teeny
3-column layout, 1st and 2nd col touch, 2nd and 3rd do not (have a 
little gutter between them).

2nd col is not vertically aligned with 1 and 3.

NN4.7
Not that legible--degrades poorly, overlapping text, etc.

NN7
Looks Great! (Fonts may be a little bigger. . . like 12px)

hth,
karen