Subject: [css-d] safari and mac IE5 hacks or alternative layout solution needed

From: rick at starskiweb.co.uk (Rick Hurst)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:59:02 +0100

Hi All

I need some help with this conversion from a table layout to a tableless 
layout. This is it so far:-

http://hypothecate.co.uk/css_test/3_col_margin_border.htm

I have a fixed width 3 column layout with a liquid header and footer. 
Columns 2 and 3 have their own header. I have tried various solutions, 
but currently I have 2 main floating columns, the second of which 
contains two floating sub columns. I have used a top margin to push 
these two sub columns down and have an absolutely positioned heading for 
these columns. The center and right columns need a border so this was my 
main reason for wrapping them in another div.

This works on PC IE5 and 6, Mozilla 1.3, but safari (not sure which 
version) the footer wont stay put and and IE5 mac the main column drifts up.

This doesn't need to support Netscape 4 - I will be hiding most of the 
styling from that.

--
Rick Hurst
http://hypothecate.co.uk