Subject: [css-d] 3Col_NN4_FMFM and IE 6 problem

From: css-discuss at alex.cloudband.com (Alex Robinson)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 21:42:10 +0100

>Hi Scott - I snagged Alex's layout and played for awhile with this, and I
>could get a number of variations on visible and invisible images, depending
>on where I put the image, or what it was or was not inside, as well as the
>size of the image

Just a quick note since I'm unfortunately tied up with mountains of work
and attempting to resuscitate my iBook which is dying the death of a
seemingly infinite number of colourful (and colourless) screens.

As Holly points out, it's not too hard to make css layouts fall over. The
page can't take in to account all possible bugs and flaws and it's not
meant to just be used as is - it's not a substitute for the dull and
thankless task of checking accross platforms and browsers.

That said, I'll try and pursue Holly's line of enquiries as to under what
precise circumstances things can vanish in IE6.

All I can suggest (untested since I have no IE6 at themoment) did is
setting the image's position to relative. Nested divs in this layout
require that and maybe images that fit the exact width need it too.
Alternatively you could increase the width of the right hand column and set
its margin

Anyhow when I've got a copy of IE6 again I'll investigate and also see if
the pure float model (FFFF rather than FMFM) suffers from the same problems.