Subject: [css-d] 3Col_NN4_FMFM and IE 6 problem

From: css-discuss at plumlee.org ([email-masked])
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:22:43 -0400

I've been trying to use the excellent layouts provided by Alex Robinson to 
cure a layout with Mac IE problems.  Ran across something 
interesting/infuriating and I'm hoping that someone here can either explain 
it to me or point me in the direction of a known bug.

Using this layout, I tried to set up a page with a fixed width of 
762px.  Left column is 120px, right is 145px.
http://www.fu2k.org/alex/css/layouts/3Col_NN4_FMFM.mhtml?order=213&width_one=50&width_two=120&width_three=145&wrap_width=762&column_gutter=0&column_vertical_padding=0&column_horizontal_padding=0&columns_background=1&border_surround=0&body_padding=0&longest_column=one&controls=1&show_style=0

Looks great in Mozilla and Opera.  If I try to place an image in the right 
hand column with a declared width of 145px, it does not work in IE6.  IE 
refuses to display the content in that third column.

Shorten the length of the image by 4px, and it displays.  Lengthen the 
overall length of the container div by 4px, it displays.  It looks like IE 
is placing a a 4px padding around the image.  Tried setting it to display 
inline and block, no luck either way.

But if I float the image left or right, IE 6 works perfectly.  I've run 
across problems where IE 6 collapses padding and margins when elements are 
adjacent to floated elements, so it seems that I'm taking advantage of a 
hack here.

Any thoughts?

Scott Plumlee
PGP Public key: http://plumlee.org/pgp/   D64C 47D9 B855 5829 D22A  D390 
F8E2 9B58 9CBF 1F8D