Subject: [css-d] 3Col_NN4_FMFM and IE 6 problem

From: holnkids at netscape.net (Holly Bergevin)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 01:00:58 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

>layouts provided by Alex Robinson 

>http://www.fu2k.org/alex/css/layouts/3Col_NN4_FMFM.mhtml?order=213&width_one=50&width_two=120&width_three=145&wrap_width=762&column_gutter=0&column_vertical_padding=0&column_horizontal_padding=0&columns_background=1&border_surround=0&body_padding=0&longest_column=one&controls=1&show_style=0

>If I try to place an image in the right 
>hand column with a declared width of 145px, it does not work in IE6.  IE 
>refuses to display the content in that third column.

Hi Scott - I snagged Alex's layout and played for awhile with this, and I could get a number of variations on visible and invisible images, depending on where I put the image, or what it was or was not inside, as well as the size of the image. Is it possible you have a page you could put up so your specific case can be looked at? That would make it easier to give specific suggestions instead of theoritical ones.

As for hacks for IE, (and other browsers as needed), in my opinion, they are inevitable. As long as they validate, and don't mess something up for another browser (that cannot be worked around) you're probably going to have to use some. 

However, I always try to see if I can write/fix a page in such a way as to use the least number possible. What that means is if IE6 needs to have and image floated to work, and floating that image doesn't bother other browsers, I write it so the image is floated and move on to something else. 

Now, about that URL...

~holly

__________________________________________________________________
Try AOL and get 1045 hours FREE for 45 days!
http://free.aol.com/tryaolfree/index.adp?375380

Get AOL Instant Messenger 5.1 for FREE! Download Now!
http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promo=380455

---

From: css-discuss at plumlee.org ([email-masked])
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:54:17 -0400

At 01:00 AM 4/25/2003 -0400, you wrote:

 >Hi Scott - I snagged Alex's layout and played for awhile with this, and I
 >could get a number of variations on visible and invisible images, depending
 >on where I put the image, or what it was or was not inside, as well as the
 >size of the image. Is it possible you have a page you could put up so your
 >specific case can be looked at? That would make it easier to give specific
 >suggestions instead of theoritical ones.

thank you for the response.  I've placed a page here:
http://wgi.org/2003/indexmac2.php where you can copy the code and watch it 
happen.  Allow the float, works in IE.  Remove the float, doesn't show.

With the float: left in place for the img tag, it display correctly in IE 6 
and Mozilla and Opera 7.10.  Without it, it vanishes in IE 6.

Again, many thinks to Alex Robinson for all the work on the page, and to 
the other contributors (including Holly, I believe) that are listed there.

 >However, I always try to see if I can write/fix a page in such a way as to
 >use the least number possible. What that means is if IE6 needs to have and
 >image floated to work, and floating that image doesn't bother other
 >browsers, I write it so the image is floated and move on to something else.

I appreciate the advice.  I think I might have a "immovable object meets 
the irresistible force" complex about this problem right now.