Subject: [css-d] select problem

From: eoghan at redry.net (eoghan)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:49:01 +0100

hello,
i am referring to a problem that occurs in particular with ie5+ on 
windows. the
<select> form element is apparently described as a "windowed elements"...
so this means that they should paint themselves on top of all other 
elements on a
page. so, when using dropdown menus, selects will appear through them. 
this behaviour
doesnt occur in nn7/moz1+ or firebird0.5. however, these browsers do 
have problems
when the "multiple" attribute is applied to the select, or when the 
select is opened.
i was wondering if anyone else had come across this issue. using a 
z-index in this
case will not work. and apart from avoiding this problem, has anyone 
come up with
any workarounds for this issue. for a
small example, see here:

http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/css/001.html

thanks