Subject: [css-d] Trying to hide styles from different browsers (IE Win, IE Mac, everything else)

From: weston at canncentral.org (Weston Cann)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:37:27 -0600

I've got a layout with some absolutely positioned elements that seem to 
display a few pixels off from browser to browser. After some reflection, 
I've decided to try and feed different sets of values to three general 
kinds of browsers:

(1) MS IE Win
(2) MS IE Mac
(3) Any other child-selector recognizing browser

The scheme I've been trying to use to accomplish this has been:

(1) Feed the IE Win value straight out in the style sheet ( example: 
#tlmenu { position: absolute; top: 118px; } )
(2) Feed the IE Mac value using a child selector expression, which is 
therefore hidden from IE Win (example: #centring>#tlmenu { top: 119px } )
(3) Use the \ comment hack and another child selector expression to feed 
another value to all other child-selector reading browsers (example: /* 
hack \ */ #centring>#tlmenu { top: 120px; } )

The problem is: the Gecko-based browser I'm using (Chimera/Navigator .6) 
seems to be oblivious to everything I put in #3. Am I going about this 
in a fundamentally wrong way, or is there just a detail I'm missing? Are 
there other, better schemes?

(If you want the full context, go to 
http://weston.canncentral.org/misc/XVoyager/about.html ... it's got the 
XHTML and style sheets)

Thanks,

	Weston

~ == ~
http://weston.canncentral.org/
Maybe the reason the invisible hand is invisible is because it isn't 
there.