Subject: [css-d] Flash & CSS ?

From: dmead at optiem.com (David Mead)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:02:51 -0400

Dear all,

I was asked the following question last week:

"Can you use FLASH in the same way as you can with images in CSS to
provide background and/or rollover effects for links".

My first reaction was no as (I believe) FLASH has to be the top layer of
a web page and also how would you code the EMBED statement?  Then I
thought I'd ask here as CSS is still fairly new to me and maybe I'm
missing something.

Comments?

Thanks,

Dave

---

From: web2k2 at premonition.co.uk (Geoff Sheridan)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:39:17 +0100

>thought I'd ask here as CSS is still fairly new to me and maybe I'm

Your first reaction was right. Unless you did something like :
a:hover object {display:none;}
in which case you can probably hide/show flash content on rollover.
I haven't tested and certainly do not recommend this.
What's the point, when flash contains it's own rollover events which 
are likely to give a much better result?
It would be nice to be able to have flash content as background 
images 'tho. I can imagine this being egregiously misused but it 
would be very handy for all sorts of great visual effects.

Geoff