Subject: [css-d] Unfixing fixed menus

From: RHulse at radionz.co.nz (Richard Hulse)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:36:54 +1200

I have posted this on WD-L for discussion.

I'm posting it here as it is of interest, even is slightly OT due the =
javascript content.

regards,
Richard
=AF---------------------------------
I have taken Eric Bednarz' example of fixed areas in IE at=20

http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/

and applied it to this sub-site at RNZ:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/digitallife/

It worked quite well but for one main issue - when the width of the screen =
is too narrow the scoll bar dissappears. I'm not sure if this can be fixed =
by tweaking the CSS files.

Anyway, as is always the case with fixed menus, if the window is not high =
enough you lose the bottom of the menu.

I have come up with a little JS that fixes both the problem. It works in =
Moz and IE 5/6. on PC (not sure about Mac).

In moz if the browser is too short then it unfixes the menu.
In IE it unfixes the menu, and re-fixes it if the browser is returned to a =
suitable size.

The JS relys on the IE style sheet having a title (which IE ignores).

Any suggestions and improvements appreciated.