Subject: [css-d] inline frame border...

From: steven at sjknet.com (Steven Kallstrom)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:47:17 -0500

CSS Experts,

	I am working on a layout where I have a large graphic as
background, and menu.  I don't want to reload that since it is static
throughout, so I decided to just make it so that I would reload the
content area.

http://12.221.231.252/test/test.html

1)  I can do this with an iframe...  I can get rid of the border with
CSS in Mozilla, but to get rid of the iframe border through IE you need
to do this... <iframe frameborder="0">  is there a way to get this done
in the CSS so that I don't have it as an attribute?

2)  is there a way that I could do this using CSS and divs instead of
using an iframe...  I couldn't think of a way to load the content inside
the div without having all the different content pages in the same HTML
file...  I wish they had something like <div src="page"> sort of like
iframes, but you are simply change what is inbetween the divs...

what do you think?

Thanks a ton,

Steven J. Kallstrom

---

From: bmerkey at tampabay.rr.com (Brett Merkey)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 15:02:49 -0400

| 1)  I can do this with an iframe...  I can get rid of the border with
| CSS in Mozilla, but to get rid of the iframe border through IE you need
| to do this... <iframe frameborder="0">  is there a way to get this done
| in the CSS so that I don't have it as an attribute?

Not that I know of. This has been a complaint since IE3. In fact,
IFRAMEs in IE have other default attributes that override any
CSS property, sometimes with nasty consequences. 

| 2)  is there a way that I could do this using CSS and divs instead of
| using an iframe...  I couldn't think of a way to load the content inside
| the div without having all the different content pages in the same HTML
| file... 

No again. You may want to experiment using the OBJECT tag. For 
instance, this works in IE5/Win and Netscape 7:

<object data="another.htm" type="text/html" id="yourID"></object>

Note that the object tag must be given an explicit height and width,
either as attributes or thru the CSS. Note also that here again, IE
insists on a border.

Brett