Subject: [css-d] Site Check Mac please Golfbreaks.com

From: css-d at elliz.com (Sam Ellis (css-d))
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:01:24 +0100

Hi guys,
 
I have done pretty much all I can with my client's new site in 
css. (I know I have used tables in a couple of places, but that
was for avoiding IE problems with small screen widths ...
and time constraints)
 
I have tested in Win NS 4+, IE3+, Opera, 
Mac IE 5?
 
Please could someone give the site a quick once-over in other
MAC / UNIX browsers that I have no access to.
 
Thanks ...
 
... The address - nearly forgot to post it:
 
http://www.golfbreaks.com/
 
--
Sam Ellis -

---

From: Josh at Ambrutis.com (Josh Ambrutis)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:10:16 -0400

> Sam  Ellis (css-d) :

Can't help with the Mac/Unix issues, sorry.  Hit your site with IE6 (Win
XP) and thought it was a very sharp lookin' design!  Good work.  But hit
it with Opera 7, and your left nav area disappears and the link text on
the page becomes completely unreadable.  I can upload screenshots if you
need, lemme know.

--Josh

---

From: afternoon at uk2.net (Ben Godfrey)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 04:16:35 +0100

Looks good in Safari Beta 2 and Camino 0.7 on the Mac.

In IE 5 on OS X it looks good except the title area of the Featured 
Venues portlet has gone awry, it is the height of the picture and fully 
contains the image. I can provide a screenshot if you send me your 
address (I joined the list after you posted your request).

Ben

On Monday, Apr 28, 2003, at 04:10 Europe/London, Josh Ambrutis wrote:

> ______________________________________________________________________
> css-discuss [[email-masked]]
> http://www.css-discuss.org/mailman/listinfo/css-d
> Supported by evolt.org -- http://www.evolt.org/help_support_evolt/
>
>

(q)	Ben Godfrey?
(a)	Web Developer and Designer
	See http://aftnn.org/ for details

---

From: css-d at elliz.com (Sam Ellis (css-d))
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:24:17 +0100

> the page becomes completely unreadable.  I can upload screenshots if you

Thanks for the heads up.

I had only checked with Opera 6, and I think I changed the css for that bar
recently - since testing

Sam

---

From: css-d at elliz.com (Sam Ellis (css-d))
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:34:47 +0100

> .. with Opera 7, and your left nav area disappears and the link text on
> -- Josh

Just downloaded Opera 7.1 and I cannot see the problem ...

It looks as if your version of Opera is looking at the print stylesheet
(try print previewing). What version are you using? It would be very
useful to see screenshots. Does anyone else know about Opera rendering
css from a media=print stylesheet?

.. maybe it is my use of the !important rule...?

The only issue I can see is that the text on the Features Venues goes
over the Request Brochure images (because of position: relative to
avoid the ie6 peekaboo bug)

Thanks

Sam

---

From: Josh at Ambrutis.com (Josh Ambrutis)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:24:32 -0400

> css from a media=print stylesheet?

http://portalsmith.com/golfbreaks-ss.jpg

Opera 7.02, Win XP.  Did a print preview, and while some of the layout
changed, it didn't change much... Text links still unreadable, but the
content switched from anchored left to centered, and the green
backgrounds were dropped.  HTH a bit.

--Josh

---

From: css-d at elliz.com (Sam Ellis (css-d))
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:04:11 +0100

> changed, it didn't change much... Text links still unreadable, but the

the links are meant to be small - this is for printing and if they are too
big they much up the entire site (and take up too much screen realestate)
and as most people do not want to read them, they are in fine print - only
if the person wants to go to the page ... probably me being too hi-tech!

looks like Opera 7.02 is using all the !important css in the print.css
stylesheet throughout the entire media range, instead of print only.

I'm going try to download 7.02 to test, if not will post again

Cheers
Sam