Subject: [css-d] Hyperlink position in NN4.7

From: dmead at optiem.com (David Mead)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:21:47 -0400

Hi all,

I've only joined the list yesterday and I already have a question to
pose.

I'm designing a web site that has to be "viewable" down to NN4.7.  I'm
using table with some CSS to style content in the cells etc.  My problem
is this.

My footer nav runs nicely along the bottom (shortened version here):

  <div class=3D"footernav">=20
  <p>&nbsp;<a href=3D"#">MENU</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;<a
href=3D"#">LOCATIONS&nbsp;</a></p>
  </div>

with the CSS code:

  .footernav { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:
8px; color: #FEAC22; text-decoration: none; background-color: #7B0808;
padding: 5px 10px; }
  .footernav a:link { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color:
#FEAC22; text-decoration: none; padding: 5px 10px; background-color:
transparent; }
  .footernav a:visited { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
color: #FEAC22; text-decoration: none; padding: 5px 10px;
background-color: transparent;}
  .footernav a:hover { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color:
#FFFFFF; text-decoration: none; padding: 5px 10px; background-color:
transparent; }

It looks fine in IE but when viewed in NN4.7 the links stack
one-on-top-of-another instead of side-by-side!  I've created a separate
style sheet for NN and removed the padding from the CSS code and this
bunches them all up (hence the two &nbsp; between links).  Is there a
way around this or is this the best fix.

I did a quick check through the archives but didn't turn anything up.
Apologies if the code is a little sloppy but I'm still finding my CSS
feet so to speak.

Many thanks,

Dave