Subject: [css-d] Replying to the list

From: info at n2dreamweaver.com (Donna Casey)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:44:34 -0700

too bad that the link to the "elm" program that actually works with this
style of non-munging list replies is an orphaned link...it seems that
outlook express doesn't offer a choice between individual and group, just
individual and all.

Donna

> > http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssDiscussListHeaders
>
>
> OK, I feel suitably chastened :)  It's just not the reply behaviour I'm
used
> to. I'm sure I'll adjust...

---

From: d.abraham at netgates.co.uk (Dave)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:59:14 +0100

I am also new, and no I don't think I will adjust. I use these lists as a
resource and I can already see a whole bunch of questions with very few
replies. Not much use at all.

I don't understand the logic behind it, anyone know of any other CSS mailing
lists that don't adopt this odd policy??

PS: This is the second attempt, my first message went direct to Donna Casey
(sorry Donna) Not good at all.

---

From: contact at lukeredpath.co.uk (Luke Redpath)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:51:28 +0100

If you are using Outlook to use this list, it's not hard to adjust - just
hit reply to all instead, and quickly delete the sender from the to list,
leaving the list address.

Simple!

Cheers,

Luke Redpath
--
www.sonicdeath.co.uk/weblog
"Celebrity Squares" - giving the web a CSS makeover - coming soon!

---

From: mark.r.stevens at attbi.com (markinoregon)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:00:38 -0700

What's the big deal, I just right click on the message I want to reply
to,click reply-all, then remove the person's e-mail address from the to bar,
like I did just now with Dave's reply.
It's just a matter of people being aware of who the addresses are in the
reply to header. we all know the horror stories in a corporate environment
where some knucklehead reply's about something sensitive to EVERYONE!

>I can already see a whole bunch of questions with very few

I TOTALLY disagree with that statement DAVE, I've gotten lots of help from
people on here, as a matter-of-fact, I print out some threads as reference
to try the techniques later, even if I don't need the info now. I was even
thinking of compiling a PDF file of the topics that interest me.

just my .02 cents.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Dave
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 2:59 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [css-d] Replying to the list

______________________________________________________________________
css-discuss [[email-masked]]
http://www.css-discuss.org/mailman/listinfo/css-d
Supported by evolt.org -- http://www.evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

---

From: d.abraham at netgates.co.uk (Dave)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:14:16 +0100

> thinking of compiling a PDF file of the topics that interest me.

I have not been around long enough to see that. I am not saying people don't
help,  I am saying they do help but do it in private making the information
harder to find. It is more of an assumption and an observation after only a
day of watching mind.

---

From: mrmazda at ij.net (Felix Miata)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:41:44 -0400

Dave wrote:
 
> markinoregon wrote:

> harder to find. It is more of an assumption and an observation after only a

Offlist replies mean:

1-Others have no clue how many or even if others have responded to a
request, which means there's no way for others to know whether an
(additional) reply from them is warranted.

2-Validity checking is unavailable. If others don't see responses,
defective replies aren't trapped for rebuttal/correction.
-- 
"The object and practice of liberty lies in the limitation of
governmental power."                General Douglas MacArthur

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/auth.html

---

From: info at n2dreamweaver.com (Donna Casey)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:43:55 -0700

> (sorry Donna) Not good at all.

not a problem but my point was that the link to the ELM program was defunct.
I found the setup here odd at first but adjusted even with OE after a few
abrupt messages from the email police.

--mostly lurk and snatch up the delicious crumbs of CSS that others drop
here and there....

<slithering back to a dark corner of the list.....we loves it here, don't
we, my preciousssss......>

---

From: malaja at malaja.f9.co.uk (malaja)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:50:04 +0100

Dave

I rarely send a message to a list... and though I've been an ardent lurker
for a while this may well be the first time I have written to it.

You may already have learned something from replies as to how to reply to
the list. Simple enough to use "reply-all" etc but so many people don't know
it.

More seriously, on CSS, there is no way you will get better quality in-depth
CSS info anywhere. Far in advance of (incompetent) table based Web-dev too.
Writer's to the list have combined technical knowledge and experience
unequalled. Enormously helpful, almost always on topic, friendly and
respectful. Better than books or formal study. Stay with it a while and
you'll see what I mean, give yourself time to get the "feel" of all the
helpful characters involved.

HTH, and welcome.

Mike
Edinburgh, Scotland

---

From: Josh at Ambrutis.com (Josh Ambrutis)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:54:42 -0400

> Dave :

Just a friendly suggestion Dave, hang out and give it a bit more time.
What you don't see yet, and what impressed the hell outta me was just
*how much* time some people here put into helping others with
workarounds, helping with bug research, browser/os issues and the like.
A lot of that help seems to happen on off time like after work or
between projects (I assume a lot of other people 'work' for a living
around here). 

If you take a cruise through the archives, it'll become obvious that
some of those answers and suggestions take a LONG time just to formulate
before it makes it to the list.  I say obvious because of the sheer size
and complexity of some of them.  

Go through and look at some of the replies from Holly Bergevin... At
times she's reproduced entire pages with full code and original graphics
just to help someone with their trouble.  And she's not the only one, I
don't mean to exclude anyone, she's just the first that came to memory.
Personally, I can't figure out where some of these kind people get the
time!

Many times people will solve their own problem that was previously
posted to the list and are kind enough to say "I figured it out, and
here's how..."

Don't forget, many subscribe as Digest Mode, so they only get one email
a day, not every single one.  This slows down the process a bit too.

YMMV, but I looked for a while JUST for this kind of help and this kind
of discussion, and while there are some other nice places out there, I
really think, bang-for-the-buck, you just can't beat this list for this
particular issue. :)

--Josh

---

From: earthwrk at earthlink.net (Bill Scheider)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:00:41 -0700

Hi Mike,

I totally agree with you RE the quality of the CSS info.

It's not only better than books but many of the folks discussing CSS on this
list have /written/ the books! It doesn't get any better.

Bill

---

From: john at evolt.org.uk (John Handelaar)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 03:09:36 +0100

My apologies to those who were wondering where the
stand-in listmom went to today.

It's time to stop this thread, I think, in the 
interest of maintaining our regular signal-to-noise
ratio.

Eric's position on header munging is very clear,
and the relevant explanation on the wiki was 
posted earlier this afternoon.

That wiki post also makes it abundantly clear that
the place to drag this up (since it's clearly off-
topic) is in private mail to the list owner.

Eric will be back in a couple of weeks.  I'd
appreciate not getting mail on the subject during
his absence since I'm certainly not about to change
the list settings without being able to consult him.

I hope that I don't have to enforce this tomorrow,
folks :-)

Thanks for your attention.

John H
Server admin
On behalf of the currently-absent Mr Meyer.

------------------------------------------
John Handelaar

T +44 20 8459 4923       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E [email-masked]
------------------------------------------