Subject: [css-d] Site check: Blogshares

From: css-discuss at exclupen.com (Marshall Roch)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 00:21:23 -0400

Anyone here that plays on blogshares has probably noticed already that 
Seyed (the owner) changed the navigation images to text the other day 
(most likely to speed up load-time).  This led to an experiment on my 
part to see how much I could clean up the code.  I started from scratch 
to make the Blogshares stock page[1] and ended up with a version that is 
valid XHTML 1.0 Strict, 10kb smaller (20kb smaller if you include the 
supporting images/javascript), fluid-width, relative font sizes (I did 
what was easiest, perhaps not the best method, so don't go off on me 
like that ems vs % thread), and more Netscape-friendly (it's still ugly 
and not easy to use, but at least it's readable).

I'm mainly looking for a browser check. I've got Firebird (yesterday's 
nightly) and IE6, but I need others... especially Macs.  I know that 
IE/Mac has a huge horiz. scroll due to the stock ticker, but there 
doesn't seem to be any way to fix that without causing all kinds of 
other problems.

If you've got any comments on the layout unrelated to the browser or 
CSS, let me know anyway (maybe offlist?).

[Note: I do not work for Blogshares. Seyed hasn't even seen this layout 
yet, although I emailed him just before sending this to the list]

--
Marshall Roch

[1] 
http://www.blogshares.com/blogs.php?blog=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blogshares.com%2F

---

From: css-discuss at exclupen.com (Marshall Roch)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 00:43:24 -0400

> doesn't seem to be any way to fix that without causing all kinds of 

Easier to help me if I include a link, huh?  Oops..

http://www.exclupen.com/projects/blogshares/

--
Marshall Roch

---

From: tbounds at gci.net (Tony Bounds)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 21:48:39 -0800

Marshall,
On ie5.1.5mac the 'GO' button is shifted underneath the input field on 
your search form. Also, the background is missing to the left of the top 
banner leaving a blank white space. The ticker is missing completely.

On ns7.02mac the ticker is overlayed atop the blue 'Fantasy Blog Shares 
Market' rule and is unreadable. It also takes up so many cpu cycles that 
its making typing this creep along slowly and painfully.
--
Tony

---

From: css-discuss at exclupen.com (Marshall Roch)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:08:15 -0400

> banner leaving a blank white space. The ticker is missing completely.

I'm at a loss to why that background isn't working.

This was the rule for that div:

#header {
padding-right: 10px;
background: url('images/logo_bg.gif') top left repeat-x;
text-align: right;
}

I just changed the 's to "s, let me know if that helps.

> its making typing this creep along slowly and painfully.

I don't know what to do about that ticker... It's from DevEdge[1], but
it doesn't work very well in Netscape anyway.  To get it to stay inside
the width that I need it, I had to set it absolutely inside the main
column div, which has margins the size of the left and right columns.
However, it was overlapping the title (BlogShares - Blah blah blah) so I
gave it a top: -20px; which causes that overlap of the logo in
Opera7/Win too.  Any ideas on what to do there?

I'm not sure what to do about the slowness of it.. Does anyone know of a
cross-browser ticker that uses HTML to store the content (instead of
embedding it in a JS)?

--
Marshall Roch

[1] http://devedge.netscape.com/toolbox/examples/2001/stock-ticker/