Subject: [css-d] OT: Stats for browsers on Mac?

From: gassinaumasis at hotmail.com (Peter-Paul Koch)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:14:06 +0000

>Interesting!
>Especially that Safari has so many users already (which, I agree, will
>dramatically increase later on).

My Safari stats are especially unreliable because I posted some 
Safari-related material pretty soon after the beta was released. Naturally 
geeky Safari users first take a look at sites discussing their beloved 
browser.

For the non-geeky sites I keep track of the score is between 2 and 10 % of 
all Mac users (and I find that 10% strangely high).

>Have you seen any pattern when it comes to versions of IE, i.e. 5.0, 5.1 
>and 5.2?

Nope.

--------------------------------------------------
ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/
--------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________________
Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

---

From: akuehn at nc.rr.com (Adam Kuehn)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:41:51 -0400

>Safari-related material pretty soon after the beta was released. 
>Naturally geeky Safari users first take a look at sites discussing 
>their beloved browser.
>
>For the non-geeky sites I keep track of the score is between 2 and 
>10 % of all Mac users (and I find that 10% strangely high).

I work in academia with folks who are geeky, but not necessarily in a 
web browser sort of way, but who are mostly Mac users.  Among the Mac 
people, a very large majority use IE 5 - about 72%, at last count. 
These are about evenly divided between 5.2+ on OSX and all others. 
The next highest is NN4, at a scary 9%.  Safari has recently 
overtaken gecko-based, with some early adopters giving me a 7% 
reading, while all geckos (NN6, NN7, all Mozillas and derivatives) 
are another 6%.  IE4 has just 1%, and all others (including 
unidentified) account for the rest.  I have had exactly one Opera 
visitor.

All this is after subtracting my own hits in development and all the 
Windows people, including the hackers trying to get root.exe or 
cmd.exe to do something on my Mac server.  (Which always sort of 
makes me chuckle.)

-- 

-Adam Kuehn